Thursday, March 28, 2013

Honors Research Update

My issue is getting really frustrating because I am still waiting to hear from Dr.Britt if I am accepted to be in her summer research. If I am, then she will be my mentor for honors research. I applied at the late middle of Febrary and she said she would let me know her chosen students in the first week of March. I never received any information for the first 2 weeks of March so I emailed her to ask her about it. Dr.Britt said she had a meeting to go to on Wed of the week we came back from Spring Break about summer research so she will let students know a few days after her meeting.

It's the last week of March and I still have no news from her. I want to reach out to other professors about joining their research. However, if I start being involved in another prof's research and then I hear from Dr.Britt that I am accepted to her summer research, then it will suck because then I will be wasting the other prof.'s time. So I am a bit stuck on what to do.

I think it is only fair that I go ahead and reach to other profs but I would really like to work with Dr.Britt. The proposal for research of next semester is due April 15. I really want to get started, I do not know what to do. I need ADVICE!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I think you should voice your concerns with Dr. Britt. I know it isn't easy to wait. I wish you the best of luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go to her office hours--whenever they are!--and ask her face to face. Email is easy to blow off; a student standing in front of you, asking...well, that's a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a pretty similar situation the last few weeks. I agree with Dr. Cook. Show up. Call. Be tenacious! Be persistent. Academia's beaurocracy can be tricky to navigate and professors are often juggling a lot of things at once.

    If that doesn't work, I'd go see Dr. Hall, the director of the Honors Program. He was really helpful in advocating for me and helping me find a new adviser when mine backed out.

    ReplyDelete