Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Secret Recipes?...Not That I Know Of

I honestly do not think my family has any secret recipes since my mother, who does all the cooking, never talked about such a thing. The food I have eaten at my aunt's, grandma's, other family members', or even family friends never coooked anything that I have not tasted at my own house. That sucks! I wish we had at least one secret recipe. I think it's cool and so much fun. I come from a Pakistani backgroud, we have lots and lots of hot (spicy) food, which I love. I think the most spiciest food my mom makes is spinach, or as we call it saag.


It does not really look as pleasant to eat, but it is really good. I have noticed that food that do not look as pleasant to eat, usually have so much flavor and taste to it. Thus, I try riskful-looking food. Saag is can be made from spinach, mustard leaves, , brocolli, and other green. I'm guessing it is healthy because it has so many greens to it, right? My mom puts lots and lots of crushed peppers and other spices and top it all off with butter. It is really spicy and makes my nose all watery, but yet I never stop eating it. It also has ginger in it. The butter really tops it off and you have to eat it right off the stove. When you first prepare it, it has a strong, unpleasant (I think) smell to it. People always think that Indian food and Pakistani are the same. Though they are, our spices and flavor are quiet different. Pakistani food is way more spicier I must say. So to me Indian food taste a little bland to me. Just a little. I am not so good at cooking, but I usually like to help my mom when she is cooking. That way I am able to seek a few bites. So I know a few steps of making saag. You usually fry ginger and garlic separate and then put in it the saag. It's quit tasteful. I know a lot of Indian people usually have paneer (cheese) and saag, but not a lot of Pakistani people cook that. Paneer is more of an Indian food than it is for Pakistani, though you can find recipes for Pakistani food that include paneer.

I never asked my mom about any secret recipes but I know for sure we do not have any. I mean I spent 20 years with my family, I should've known about it by now if we did have any. But I will still ask her, just in case,

1 comment:

  1. I've never had Saag, but I am almost curious to try it.

    I think the fact that you try riskful food is unique. I used to be really picky, but then i realized I was missing out on such a range of delicious food. Though I am still not sure I would ever try brains or other certain body parts of animals. I had a cricket once in a lollipop. Never again! For me there are certain things that will just have to stay off my to eat list.



    ReplyDelete